Saturday, February 21, 2009

the test of life...

I'm having one of those days where I feel like a pretty crappy mom.

Livia was invited to her first real birthday party. A friend I used to work with invited me, it was her son's 5th birthday. Well it went a little like this:

Livia arrives and decides to be super scared, ok I can understand she doesn't know anyone .. but i've never seen her like this before .. she was clinging for dear life to come up in my arms. Well I have my big belly and I can't really hold on to 27 lbs for that long, but she wouldn't have it any other way ...

Then we go off to the kitchen to do a craft and she did fine their .. but then all hell broke loose when she saw the berries on a little table her high .. she wanted down from the table and NOW and then she was just wolfing down the berries like I hadn't fed her in 3 weeks .. I was trying to stop her nicely but she would not have it .. and just wanted to stuff her face ... well im sorry but she has to share with all the other kids and well they are not Livia's big plate of berries so i took her asside and told her "They are not all for you, you have to share" she starts to ball her eyez out and then the tantrum she was kicking me in the stomach and then i had to put her down so she lied flat on her stomach and started doing that thing we all hate ..kicking the ground and screaming ... full on tantrum ... and crying super loud .. of course all the other kids are well behaved and just watching her have this tantrum ... I was ready to leave .. but then I figured no I have to stick this out and learn from this .. but it was getting harder and harder ... then the gifts came.. the boy loves Dora .. well Livia loves Dora ... she would just go up to him and pull on all his gifts that had Dora on them ... oh and guess what the theme of the party was ? DORA ! ugh

then a clown came into the picture .. she was super scared but then she warmed up and had fun but then heard stirring in the kitchen and ran off to go look at what was going on ... oh well food of course and once again my little malnourished baby girl was screaming for food ... ugh embarassing ... she layed flat in the kitchen and pulled the same tantrum i wrote above ...So of course I had to ask for some to give her ... everyone then ate and the cake came out ... a DORA cake ... insert freaking out of excitement like it was her own party Livia here ... and then she did what a Dora freak would do and stole the Dora characters from the boys hands ! ...

Ok I had it .. it was time to go ... I lasted from 10am to 1pm but it felt like a 12 hour party ... I was done .. we headed home, she fell asleep, it was a 7 minute ride home .. I try to take her from the car seat to the bed .. nope didn't work now she's wide awake ..I leav eher in her crib to see if she'll talk herself to sleep.

Meanwhile i go in my bedroom and break down ... I cry for a good 10 minutes .. not knowing what else I could have done to make this more enjoyable ... then comes the hubby to ask me what is up .. and I just ball saying I feel like I don't know anything about raising my daughter and really it scares me to death .. she doesn't listen .. I try everything .. i don't give in... i'm firm but at the right moments ... still she won't listen ...

to make matters worst she hasn't eaten her dinner in like 3 nights ... she won't even taste it ... ugh

It was just a horrible day :(

2 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job. She was obviously super tired if she fell asleep in the car. And with you being that pregnant, I can only imagine how tired *you* are! Don't be too hard on yourself. I think you both just had crappy days. The next one (or the one after that, or the one after that...) will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sens-toi pas mal...ça l'arrive à tout le monde :-) Tu n'es pas une muvaise mère...pis il y a pas personne qui pnese ça! gabrièle aussi fait des grises, EN MASSE pis moi aussi je suis ferme et stricte avec elle. Mais ils diosent que 18 mois à 2 ans est le temps de crises..

    Dal

    ReplyDelete